Asian Chicken Salad
Based on the classic Chinese chicken salad, this favorite is crunchy, sweet, salty, slightly tart and slightly spicy. Add Asian chili paste if you want more heat.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
For the salad:
- 1/4 cup Zenobia Virginia peanuts
- 1/8 head Savoy or other green cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded, poached, grilled or baked chicken
- 1/2 bunch scallion greens
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted sesame seeds
To make the dressing: Place the oils, vinegar, five spice powder, salt, pepper and mustard in a bowl and whisk well. Set aside or cover and refrigerate up to two days.
To make the salad: Place the peanuts on a cutting board and coarsely chop them. Place the cabbage, bean sprouts, chicken and scallion greens in a bowl and toss well. Add the dressing and toss again. Serve immediately, garnished with the cilantro leaves, peanuts and sesame seeds.