An interesting side dish for grilled meats and fish.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Zenobia Mammoth pecans, Supreme Almonds or Virginia Peanuts
- 1/4 cup currants, raisins, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 Granny Smith or other tart apple, cut in small dice
Place a small saucepan over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, garlic and curry and cook until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the rice and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the broth has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Place the nuts on a cutting board and coarsely chop. Add to the rice along with the currants and apple. Serve immediately.